The start of a new year is the perfect time to reflect on the past and set goals for the future and as we look ahead to 2023 with January almost up, its an opportunity to prioritise our health and well-being resolutions and make meaningful changes to our lifestyle. Whether it’s through diet, exercise or stress management, small adjustments can lead to big improvements in our overall quality of life and now is the time to buckle down and make health and wellness a top priority.
In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Akshay Modi, Managing Director at Modi Naturals, suggested five ways to keep your body, mind and soul on track for a happier and healthier you in 2023:
1. Change Your Eating Habits – Eating habits play a crucial role in determining overall health and well-being. Consuming a balanced diet that includes a variety of nutrient-rich foods can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases and promote a healthy weight. One important aspect of healthy eating is choosing the right oil. There are a variety of cooking oils in the market, and a conscious consumer should choose an oil that has the goodness of olive oil, antioxidants, and a high smoke point for everyday cooking. A blended oil or a multi-source oil that contains the benefits of olive oil is very beneficial to health as it contains antioxidants, making it the ideal oil for Indian cooking. Another key element is the high smoke point, which is ideal not only for everyday cooking but also for frying and deep frying. The high smoke point prevents the breakdown of fatty acids at high temperatures, making food healthier.
Ideally, your edible oil should also contain oryzanol, a powerful natural antioxidant that protects against heart disease by maintaining optimal cholesterol levels (lowering LDL and raising HDL). It also helps prevent other lifestyle conditions such as diabetes, obesity and cancer. The perfect cooking oil should have low oil absorption, making meals lighter while remaining healthier and tastier.
2. Healthy Meals a Day – Breakfast is considered as the most important meal of the day. However, food preferences have changed drastically over the years. The pandemic era taught us how to become more health-oriented, and dietary trends have shifted significantly from high-calorie foods to low-carb, low-fat options. A quick bowl of cereal along with a slice of almond bread with a blob of protein-rich peanut butter in the morning will give you the kickstart you need for a long day. Nevertheless, every meal is important. Lunch can be moderate, with stir-fried chicken/paneer/salmon and green veggies on rice. Finally, dinner should be the lightest meal, with salads and soups cooked in extra virgin olive oil. If you are bored of the regular food, you can also try making 100% durum wheat Pasta with vegetables or chicken.
3. Healthy Snacking – Binge-eating while watching your favourite show on Netflix has become the most popular way to enjoy the weekend but what are we eating? Most of us depend on readymade calorie-rich snacks. This year, let’s make choices that are not only good for our taste buds but also our bodies. Here is a healthy snack idea for you to try. Spread peanut butter on an apple or multigrain bread slice to make a classic, quick and delicious snack. Peanut butter is a healthy option and a great substitute for high-calorie cheese or a mayo dip.
4. Yoga and Meditation – If you work for long hours on your laptop or have a desk job, be sure to follow a strict fitness regime. Yoga and meditation are the key fitness programs that can help you become stronger and calmer in 2023. For a long time, we have forced our bodies into rigid exercise routines. This year let’s break free from these heavy, rigid body movements and find more intuitive, fluid movements. They are receiving well-deserved popularity as people worldwide experience their physical and mental benefits. These practices can prevent stiff muscles and reduce stress, which is a common goal of people who want to develop positively and focus on self-improvement.
5. Focus on Yourself – Make 2023 the year where you finally invest in yourself. Find opportunities to travel, take reasonable breaks from work and spend time with friends and family every weekend. Remember to take at least one hour alone for yourself every day. Use stress management methods like deep breathing, listening to music, going for a walk, etc. If you think you need help, don’t hesitate in asking for it. Talk to your partner, friends or family about it. Channel your energy towards taking care of pets or growing plants of your choice.
Make a conscious and purposeful choice like adopting sustainable practices. Choose positivity and see the world around you change in 2023!